Best Password Managers of 2018
The best passwords managers of 2018 have evolved and offered many solutions to store encrypted login information on your local hard drive, cloud, or even on your company’s server. The most convenient password managers integrate with your browser and save your username and password when logging in to a secure page.
The cloud can be a better alternative because if your computer dies or an unforeseen disaster happens, you can be assured your password vault is still safe.
Hard drive recovery is costly and not only that; there is never a 100% guarantee storage media can be recovered.
If you do decide to store your vault on your hard drive, make sure you make multiple copies. Redundancy is critical to avoid data disasters on local media.
However, for some of us, the cloud makes us very paranoid because you must rely on the provider to keep everything safe, in an ever-evolving digital world you can never be 100% sure everything is safe from prying eyes.
The best password management systems use password generating software that generates powerful passwords that you cannot guess. These passwords include many characters and uppercase, lowercase, and special characters that would take forever to crack.
For added assurance, you can also use How Secure Is My Password to check the average time it would take a hacker to break your password.
Here is a list of what I consider the Best Password Managers of 2018
- LastPass Free – This version comes with a browser extension to store passwords quickly and makes them available on all of your devices, such as iPhone, iPad, Android devices, etc. This excellent password manager allows you to login to websites with a single touch and offers AES 256-bit encryption.
My favorite LastPass feature is the ability to auto change passwords, this is very useful in case the site has a security breach, or you realize that the old password was too weak.
- Premium LastPass – The premium version adds synchronization to multiple devices, and can generate and save a password for desktop applications. It even allows you to share secure folders with others – with customized permissions and priority tech support.
- BeyondTrust – offers secure password management and enhanced network security, compliance reporting, and account management options for small business and personal use. If your company requires session logs, this is an excellent choice for you.
BeyondTrust offers compliance mandates: SOX, HIPAA, GLBA, PCI DSS, FDCC, FISMA, and others.
- Dashlane – A top-rated password manager, known for excellent customer service and first-class security and even has instant security checks to alert you when certain websites data has been compromised.
The best part about Dashlane is they also offer a password changer that can change the password with one click! Dashlane also offers generated powerful passwords and even a digital wallet.
Some additional features are Auto-Login & Autofill, and business solutions offering Secure Group Sharing & private sectioned spaces.
- LogMeOnce – Password Management surpasses most competitors, and the new password-free authentication option means you do not even need to remember a master password because it uses Photo Login and Fingerprint authentication in addition to what other providers are offering also.
Offering Multi-Factor login systems.
For example: Password + Trusted Device + Biometrics.
Federal Identity, Credential, and Access Management (FICAM) and complies with FIPS 140-2, SOX, HIPAA, PCI DSS
The following is some of the best password managers of 2018 I have come across, if you know of some great ones I have not listed, please share them with us below in the comments. I will do my best to review all of them and include them on the list.